The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Student rights and obligations

Your rights and obligations as a student – where to turn

You are studying at a department that is your workplace, just as it is for your fellow students, lecturers and other staff. The head of department is responsible for the physical and psychosocial environment in the workplace and for the provision of education.

What rights and obligations are we talking about?

There is to be no discrimination, victimisation or harassment at the department. As a student, you also have certain rights with regard to your education, relating to your work environment, the implementation of exams and degree projects. At the same time, you have certain obligations as a student – not to engage in cheating, disruptive behaviour or harassment. 

About student rights and guidelines on the Lund University website

About gender equality and equal opportunities on the Lund University Staff Pages

Where do you address any concerns at the department?

What can you do if you feel that your rights have not been respected? Or if you are suspected of not fulfilling your obligations as a student? You should primarily attempt to resolve the situation where it arose. For example, in a teaching situation, you can discuss possible solutions with the course responsible. If you do not wish to do this or if you feel that, notwithstanding discussions with the lecturer, you have been treated unfairly, you can turn to the study advisor or the director of studies at the department. If necessary, they can help you to present your situation to the head of department. If you feel that you have been subjected to discrimination, victimisation or harassment, you should turn directly to the head of department.

Contact information to:

Do you want to talk to someone outside the department?

Turn to the Science Student Union LUNA if you need advice and support during discussions with the department. LUNA also facilitates contact with the Student Advocates at Lund University's student unions. There, you can receive assistance with matters that can be appealed or receive help if your case has been forwarded to the Disciplinary Board at Lund University.

Website of the Science Student Union LUNA.

Turn to the Coordinator for students' work environment and equal opportunities or the Head of Social Affairs at Teknologkåren.

For mor information go to: Equal opportunities for students - Student website LTH

Other contacts

The Student Ombudsman offers advice and support when you encounter problems related to your studies.

Email: studentombud [at] lus [dot] lu [dot] se (studentombud[at]lus[dot]lu[dot]se) 
Visiting address: Sandgatan 2 (AF-borgen), floor 4

Student Ombudsman at Lund University Student Unions (Student Ombudsman's website)

In Sweden, there is an authority called the Equality Ombudsman (DO). DO works against discrimination and for everyone's equal rights and opportunities. The authority does this mainly by ensuring that the Discrimination Act is complied with. DO's work applies to all grounds of discrimination. If you have made a report but believe that the university has not done enough, you can get help from the DO to take the matter further. The DO's website contains information and advice on discrimination.

The Equality Ombudsman (DO's website)