Frans Maurer joined Lund Institute of Technology at Lund University in 1999 as full professor. He studied solid state physics at the RWTH in Aachen, Germany and received a PhD in physical chemistry from the University of Duisburg. He was employed at DSM Research, Geleen, The Netherlands from 1974 until 1992. From 1982 until 1992 he was head of a polymer physics group and senior scientist. In 1987, 1988 and 1989 he was appointed as visiting professor at the Department of Macromolecular Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA. From 1992-1999 he was full professor at the Department of Polymer Technology at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Relations between structure and properties of polymers.
Relations between macromolecular structure, morphology and physical properties of complex polymeric systems, interfaces in polymer blends and Nanocomposites, biopolymers,foams and membranes, modeling of frequency and time dependent visco-elastic and dielectric properties of heterogeneous polymers, free volume and mobility of polymers, positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy, dynamic mechanical spectroscopy, structural characterization of polymers on molecular and macroscopic level.
Free volume and mobility.
Determination of free volume parameters by positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy (PALS) and the extraction of free volume fractions from equation of state data with the help of ‘hole theories’. These parameters give important information about the open structure in solid polymers. Free volume properties are related to molecular dynamics, volume relaxation and physical ageing, and govern transport properties such as gas permeation, gas separation and drug release.
Control and modelling of free volume structure for the development of gas separating polymeric membranes.
Control of structure of immiscible and phase separated polymer blends, foams and nanocomposites. Modelling of dynamic mechanical, dielectric and thermal properties of heterogeneous polymers including interfacial effects.
Relations between structure and properties of Polyhydroxyalkaonates, thermal and rheological behavior.
Positron annihilation lifetime spectroscopy, dynamic mechanical and dielectric spectroscopy, Pressure-Volume-Temperature, thermal analysis, FTIR and rheometry.
- Andersson, A., Zhai, W., Yu, J., He, J., Maurer, F.H.J. Free Volume and Crystallinity of poly(ethylene naphthalate) treated in Pressurized Carbon Dioxide. Polymer, 2010, 51, 146-152
- Andersson, A., Lundmark, S.,Magnusson, A., Maurer, F.H.J. Shear Behavior of Flexible Polyurethane Foams under Uniaxial Compression. J Appl Polym Sci, (2009), 111, 2290-2298
- Ma, W.M., Andersson, A., He, J.S., Maurer, F.H.J. Free Volume Changes, Crystallization, and Crystal Transition Behavior of Syndiotactic Polystyrene in Supercritical CO2 revealed by Positron Annihilation Lifetime Spectroscopy. Macromolecules, (2008), 41, 5307-5312
- De Sitter, K., Winberg, P., D’Haen, J., Dotremont, C., Leysen, R., Martens, J.A., Mullens, S., Maurer, F.H.J., Vankelecom, I.F.J. Silica filled poly(1-trimethylsilyl-1-propyne) nanocomposite membranes: Relation between the transport of gases and structural characteristics. J. Membrane Sci. 2006, 278(1-2), 83-91.
- Winberg, P., Eldrup, M., Pedersen, N.J., van Es, M.A., Maurer, F.H.J. Free volume sizes in intercalated polyamide 6/clay nanocomposites. Polymer, 2005, 46(19), 8239-8249
- Winberg, P., DeSitter, K., Dotremont, C., Mullens, S., Vankelecom, I.F.J., Maurer, F.H.J. Free Volume and Interstitial Mesopores in Silica Filled Poly(1-trimethylsilyl-1-propyne) Nanocomposites. Macromolecules, 2005, 38(9), 3776-3782.
- Loyens, W., Jannasch, P., Maurer, F.H.J. Effect of Clay Modifier and Matrix Molar Mass on the Structure and Properties of Poly(ethylene oxide)/Cloisite Nanocomposites via Melt-Compounding. Polymer, 2005, 46(3), 903-914.
- Colombini, D., Hassander, H., Karlsson, O.J., Maurer, F.H.J. Influence of the Particle Size and Particle Size Ratio on the Morphology and Viscoelastic Properties of Bimodal Hard/Soft Latex Blends. Macromolecules, 2004, 37, 6865-6873.
- Algers, J., Suzuki, R., Ohdaira, T., Maurer, F.H.J. Free Volume and Density Gradients of Amorphous Polymer Surfaces As Determined by Use of a Pulsed Low-Energy Positron Lifetime Beam and PVT Data. Macromolecules, 2004, 37(11), 4201-4210.
- Algers, J., Sperr, P., Egger, W., Kogel, G., Maurer, F.H.J. Median implantation depth and implantation profile of 3-18 keV positrons in amorphous polymers. Phys. Rev. B: Cond. Matter Mater. Phys., 2003, 67, 125404/1-125404/7.
- Colombini D., Maurer F. H. J. Origin of Additional Mechanical Transitions in Multicomponent Polymeric Materials. Macromolecules, 2002, 35, 5891-5902
- Schmidt M. and Maurer F.H.J. Free-volume quantities from PVT-EOS analysis and PALS Polymer, 2000, 41, 8419-8424
- Schmidt M., Olsson M. and Maurer F.H.J. Macroscopic PVT properties versus free volume characteristics of isotropic pressure densified amorphous polymer glasses J.Chem.Phys., 2000, 112, 11095-11106